October 29, 2009

Fall Favorites

These past couple of months have been crazy busy! At the end of September we were privileged to go with Austin's family to Cabo San Lucas Mexico for a whole week! They have a time share down there every other year so this is the second time we have been able to go with them. It's hard to describe just how amazing a vacation like that is. The scenery is beautiful and the people are very friendly. It's impossible not to relax and everyone enjoys spending time with one another. The days are spent at the pool or on the beach and nights are spent walking along the beach and playing games. We also go into town a couple of times during the week. The tide was a lot higher than we have ever seen it. There is a rock called God's Thumb that we trek to at least once while there and because the tide was so high only Austin and his brother Seth actually made it to the rock. We had a blast, created a lot of memories, and are already looking forward to the next trip there!


The resort is built into a cliff so every room has a view of the ocean!


There are multiple swimming pools so they are never crowded! We enjoy eating wings, chips and salsa and smoothies while hanging out.

Because the resort was built into a cliff guests are driven around in golf carts. The pathways are very windy and narrow, but it makes for a great adventure.

Every afternoon we played pool volley ball. Our team went undefeated for the whole week. We even played against a team of employees in a championship game and won free drinks!

Austin couldn't stay off the rocks if his life depended on it! Not even the beach patrol guy could deter him for long.

This rock is the one referred to as "God's Thumb". It's at the very tip of the beach and quite a walk from the resort. It's become a tradition to walk to this rock at least once while visiting. The following are pictures showing our adventures on our way there.

This is Seth attempting to run away from the monstrous waves we encountered.

Yes, that tiny figure on top of the rocks is Austin. He was pretty determined to get to the top despite the crazy waves.



After returning from Cabo, most of the month was spent getting ready for an event called Fashion Remix that took place at Rice Eccles Stadium October 22nd. I was on the committee with a handful of others in the design community that planned this event. For those of you who may not know, Fashion Remix is a fashion show where designers and architects use product they specify on a daily basis to create a "wearable fashion". Local architecture and design firms formed teams and were randomly paired with participating vendors. The teams design an outfit using only their vendors materials i.e. tile, carpet, textiles, paint, wood, etc. and will be showing off their creations as they walk down the runway.

My office had a team and we were paired with Knoll Textiles. Therefore, our dress was created out of commercial textiles and drapery fabric. I somehow got roped into being the model for my team...something about how tall I am automatically makes me the lucky winner for such a position. While I'm not one to dive into the limelight, I had a lot of fun being someone else for a night. My family was a huge support and I'm glad so many of them came to the event. All proceeds were donated to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

This was my team! Tami, Stephanie, and Xani work with me. Kaya (on the far right) was the fashion student assigned to our team. She was the one who constructed the base of our dress. She is very talented and I'm excited to see where life will take her!

This dress was made out of tile. It was so heavy the "tail" had
to be supported by a stool while backstage.


This dress was made from carpet.

This dress was made from a material called 3-Form.

This event will be an annual event, so if it's something you might be interested in attending next year, let me know and I will give you details as the event gets closer.

Another event that took place this month was the Riverton Hospital Open House. This was kind of a big deal for me since I'm the one that space planned and designed all the furniture within the hospital. I was able to take my family including my grandparents who were in town from Tennessee and show them all the work I did. It was a very rewarding experience!

The end of October is always one of my favorite times of the year. This year Austin and I celebrated our 3rd anniversary! It's really been a great year. I'm excited to see what this next year will bring! We chose to commemorate this event by going to The Chef's Table in Orem. It is one of our favorite restaurants and not somewhere we get to go very often. Everything we've ever ordered has been absolutely amazing. It's always fun to get dressed up and enjoy a night on the town. We exchanged gifts after dinner and Austin surprised me with a puppy!!! We will get to pick him up sometime mid November. I'm grateful to be married to such a thoughtful person who always has my happiness first in mind. Thanks Aust!!!


On a side note, we dressed as "Smartie Pants" for Halloween this year. Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. We are making our blog private. Send me your email and I will invite you to our blog. Kimberly-wheeler@hotmail.com. I hope you guys are doing well. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete