October 27, 2010

Time Flies When You Have a Baby

Wow! Where did the past month and a half go?! It seems like so much has happened yet I've got nothing done at the time. Go figure... I really enjoyed my time while on maternity leave, yet wrestled everyday with the thought of going back to work. Finances are a tricky thing. Due to the fact that Austin gets paid commission only we are without the stability of a steady paycheck. If I were to have gone back to work full time we would have had to pay for someone to watch James. Well, the expense of child care versus what I would be bringing in every month just didn't add up. Therefore, I requested to go back to work on a part time basis. That way we would still have a steady income to an extent, Austin would be able to work like he needed to, and we could take turns being at home with James in order to avoid the expense of child care.

At first it looked like it would all work out, but at the last minute things fell through at my work and so I said my goodbyes. I will miss that part of my life, but as that chapter closes a new one begins and I know I'm right where I should be. That's not to say that life isn't without its challenges, but I have faith that the Lord will bless us for the choice we made.

It's weird not going to an office to work, but I really enjoy my work at home. I definitely stay busy. I've been able to enjoy Zumba classes with Austin's sister, my sister, and my mom. I have also been going to a Yoga class with my mom once a week. Every once in a while I think to myself how different it is to participate in these things in the mornings when I should be at work. Then I remind myself that I don't have to worry about that anymore. Funny how there are so many new things to adjust to in life.

James and Bentley are good friends, even when James tugs on Bentley's "mustache":




Here is James at 3 months:
October 9th we were invited to participate in an activity called Mission Impossible with Austin's mom and a bunch of neighbors. It was like the amazing race, but just in Salt Lake. There were seven teams of 6 and our team won!!! It was one crazy afternoon.

On Sunday October 10 Austin blessed James in Sacrament Meeting. James truly seemed like an angel that day. It was such a special day for us and we are so grateful for all the support we received from friends and family. We are so blessed to have the amazing people we do in our lives. I am happy to have the knowledge that my family can be together forever. I have a best friend in each of my family members and it's great to know they are forever friends.


October 21st marked the second annual Fashion Remix. Once again I was on the committee for planning this event and I daresay that it was a huge success! Fashion Remix is a fashion show where designers and architects use product they specify on a daily basis to create a "wearable fashion". Local architecture and design firms formed teams and were randomly paired with participating vendors. The teams created an outfit using only their vendors materials i.e. tile, carpet, textiles, paint, wood, furniture, etc. and showed off their creations as they walked down the runway. This year we had 23 teams. It was quite a show! For pictures and information visit: www.fashionremixslc.wordpress.com For those of you who are in the Salt Lake area, all 23 outfits are on display at Dexterity Salon located at 777 East 300 South. Definitely worth taking a look!

Here is a peak at the winner of Best in Show:

Believe it or not, this outfit was created from only chair parts!

This year we carved pumpkins with Austin's mom's family. Austin carved one for himself and I carved one for James -bet you can't guess whose who's ;)




Since it is now after Midnight that means we have reached the 27th of October. This day marks mine and Austin's 4 year wedding anniversary! I can't wait to see what Austin has planned for us as a celebration. He is so great to do something every year :)

2 comments:

  1. Shaeli I'm so glad that things are going great for you guys. You are both great people and deserve all the happiness in the world. Your son is a adorable and I bet you are a fantastic mom. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see pictures! I can't believe it has already been 3 months, almost 4! I can't wait to see you guys at Thanksgiving! I hope we can get together before or after that as well. Keep blogging, I love seeing the updates!

    ReplyDelete