February 24, 2011

If the Designer Fits...

Yesterday I felt as if I had hit a wall, yet at the same time it's the first time that I have also felt some sort of hope in a really long time. On our way to church Sunday it was snowing like mad and we got a flat tire. We were still in the neighborhood so we turned around and slowly made our way back home where we transferred James and our things into Austin's car and headed back to church. So much for being on time...

I was determined not to let that get me down and ruin my opportunity for feeling the spirit. The rest of the day went okay. Monday Austin went out to change the tire. One of my lugnuts is a wheel lock. Austin put the key in and turned it only to find that the lugnut was too tight and the key became stripped. We made a bunch of calls and found out that most likely my car would need to be towed somewhere now or we could order a new key, but they don't keep them in stock and it would take 2 weeks to order one in. This is so not what we needed!

Tuesday someone said they would come out and try to get the lug nut off. They came and tried the key too, but instead of the key just being stripped, it then broke off in the lock. Are you kidding me?! Now we really would have to tow it. Thanks for the help...

For the past month and a half Austin has been looking to take on a second job. He went through several interviews with a company that we felt fairly confident that he would get the job. Plus it was one that he would enjoy! He was supposed to hear back last Friday or possibly the beginning of the week. As of yesterday morning he still hadn't heard anything, so he called them and left a message. Well, they called back a little while later and told us they had offered the job to someone else and it had been accepted. That was a pretty low blow after everything we had gone through both with my tire as well as some other things. How much more were we expected to handle???

A few hours later I received a phone call from the interior design supervisor for BYU's campus. I interviewed for a 3/4 time position there on the 18th. She was calling to offer me the position! Oh, what a wonderful answer to prayer!! At last some good news. Later that day a tow truck came to pick up my car. Somehow the driver was able to get the wheel lock off and therefore we didn't have to have it towed. They were also able to repair the tire and didn't charge us. More good news!

I have mixed feelings about going back to work, but I know this job is an answer to our prayers. This is honestly the most optimal situation that I could go back to work in. The way I got the job is an interesting story. Almost a month ago one of my former colleagues emailed me to say the one of the three quarter time designers was retiring and wondered if I would be interested in the position. I wasn't actively looking for a job, but since the opportunity presented itself I thought it couldn't hurt to interview.

My former supervisor called me about a week after that to let me know that they had officially posted the job and I could apply. A week and a half after that she called and set up the interview. I went and interviewed with her, the assistant director and director of the planning department and felt really good about it. Apparently they did too. As of Monday I will be BYU's newest interior designer. Yay! This is especially exciting because I worked there as a student for almost 3 years and it was truly the best job I ever had. I am so grateful to be going back :) I am also extremely grateful for the hope I feel as it begins to replace despair. I can't help but see God's hand in my life as all the pieces to make this happen fell into place so neatly.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad that things are looking up! It's crazy how sometimes what you least expected/wanted can really be just what you needed... and an answer to prayers can come in the weirdest form. Good Luck at BYU! You'll do great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new job! Hopefully things will continue to look up for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That is exciting, I'm sure you will be great! I hope you guys are well. Your little one is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you for you new job, and that things seem to be working out. I hope you love it and that things continue to go well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the well wishes! They are very much appreciated :) So far the new job is going great!

    ReplyDelete