I apologize beforehand for this long, pictureless post. I'm a "details" person. What can I say? Oh, and the cord I need to connect our camera to the computer in order to upload pictures is locked in our file drawer and we have yet to find the keys...
We had our house on the market for awhile, but nothing really solid happening. Once the beginning of July came, we knew we would need to put it up for rent. We found renters very quickly. The catch was they needed to move in at the beginning of the month and we were still waiting for our Vegas property, so there was going to be an in between. Fortunately, my parents had no problem letting us stay at their place for those couple of weeks.
We moved everything that we didn't need immediate access to into a storage unit. The first weekend we went with Austin's family to Bear Lake. Then Austin and I drove back to Vegas to close on our house and arrange everything for the new flooring. We got a great deal on the place we moved into, but it needed some TLC. The closing was delayed a couple of days, but we were able to get everything worked out the way we needed to.
We ordered the carpet and arranged for the tile to be replaced. Austin made one more trip down to rip the tile out himself. He finished on a Tuesday. The tile was supposed to go in Wednesday and Thursday and the carpet Friday. We planned to drive down that Friday, move everything in super early Saturday morning and have the rest of the weekend to get what we could unpacked since my parents were coming to help.
Well, fast forward to the Friday we were leaving. Our truck was all packed and we were putting the last of everything into the car about to head out when the carpet installers called and said that our tile had not been installed and the power had been shut off. We immediately called the power company, but they don't do same day service. No exceptions! And they weren't very nice about it at all. We would have to wait until Monday. I was devastated to say the least. I was all geared up, ready to move, and everything came to a screeching halt. After a morning of deliberation, we decided it was best to still go down and stay at a hotel until we could move our things in and avoid the cost of keeping the moving truck additional days since we had it through the weekend. The carpet people said they would install the carpet on Sunday and since our initial tile guy flaked out on us, they helped us find new tile installers and only charged us what we would've paid the other guy. I am telling you, the place we ordered our carpet through was the best company I have ever worked with in terms of customer service. If you are ever in need of carpet in the Las Vegas area, I am telling you that Affordable Flooring and More is THE company to go with. They truly saved my sanity!
We initially rented a generator so the flooring could be done, but after talking to a neighbor we were able to use their exterior power outlet. Thank goodness! The tile people worked all day Saturday and half a day Sunday while the carpet people worked most of the day Sunday. We went to sacrament meeting and met with one of the counselors in the bishopric after as well as the Elders Quorum President and told them our situation. They gave us there numbers and told us to let them know when we were ready to unload the truck.
Initially the carpet people said they would be finished at 3 pm. We went and checked, but were told they would need at least 2 1/2 more hours. So, we told everyone to come at 6 pm. I was astounded when 15 guys from our new ward showed up and were ready to help. It's times like these that are bonus manifestations that the church is true :) The first of our things were being brought in as the carpet people were finishing up the vacuuming. Everything was unloaded in about 50 minutes. We had a few minutes to arrange a couple of things before it got dark and then we went back to the hotel where my sweet aunt was watching James.
My parents and my aunt loaded up the car and went on their way back to Utah. I cannot express how grateful I am to my parents for getting us through what seemed to be an endless roller coaster of a weekend. I was worried about how late they were going to get home, yet all they expressed to me was their willingness to make sure we were going to be okay and not to worry about the time. They didn't get back home until 4 in the morning and my dad went to work and my mom helped my siblings out the door for their first day of school. I can only hope that I will be able to show my own kids the same love that my parents have given me.
On Monday, we had to check out of the hotel by 1 pm. Our power still wasn't on so we ran some errands and went to a friends house since they had invited us over for dinner. Our power wasn't turned on until 8:15 that night. The inside temperature was 84 degrees, better than the 95 that it was the day before. We knew it would be a hot night, especially since we hadn't installed the ceiling fans yet, but at least it was on its way to cooling down. And that, my friends, is how we have begun life's latest adventure!

No comments:
Post a Comment