I've experienced a lot of ups and downs this past month. Mostly with work, but it's a good feeling to have conquered challenges that life throws at you. I think it's so easy to become overwhelmed with everything going on in the world these days. It seems impossible to turn on the radio, internet, or TV without being bombarded by the horrible economic state the country is in and the domino effect that has taken place. Not to mention all the political issues, shortcomings of our fellow man, disasters, and attacks on religious beliefs. If one were to allow the media to be reality that person would truly be living a nightmare.
I, on the other hand, don't think life is all that bad. It's really all what you make of it. It wouldn't be hard at all to allow myself to fall into the negativity of the world. But where would I be if I did that? Miserable with all the other people! Why put myself in that category? Instead, I choose to be happy. Whenever I start thinking something negative, I try to turn it into a positive. This allows me to be grateful for so much that could easily be taken for granted. It doesn't hurt to work for what you have. Otherwise, I don't think I would appreciate the little things so much.
I'm grateful for my job and the stability it brings to my life. I'm grateful for a nice place to live that keeps the snow outside and the heat inside. I'm glad that I can eat before I'm truly hungry and for the clothes I have to wear. I would venture a guess that well over 75% of the population has these same luxuries, so why all the complaining? I feel like everyone out their feels the need to prove something to someone. We, as American people, have so much more than the rest of the world, yet we feel the need to keep up with some unseen standard. I'm most especially grateful for the gospel in my life and the blessings I have received from it. I'm looking forward to conference and the hope that it will bring to replace the despair that so much of the world would have us believe is out there. I hope that I can continue to keep a good perspective on things and enjoy life for what it is...a gift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You are very right. With the way things are in the world its easy to focus on the bad things that are happening but why? Everything happens for a reason and if we live worthy the Lord will make sure that one way or another we are taken care of in our lives. We are all truly blessed with many great things in our lives. To unlike generations we follow are able to have frivolous things that are more wants than needs and know that we will not suffer or lack for anything. Things may be harder with the economy but we are still overly blessed. :)
ReplyDeleteWow I wish I could be as positive as you. I seem to find myself falling in with the rest of the world. I am going to try your approach and try and think of the good things.
ReplyDelete